Audition Insight class for 12-13 years
An insight class designed for 12-13-year-olds interested in auditioning for White Lodge or the Mid Associate Programme.
- 1 Class
- Suitable for 12+
In this class, students will experience what it’s like to take part in a Royal Ballet School audition for 12-13-year-olds wishing to enter White Lodge or the Mid Associate Programme. Students will also learn more about what the School is looking for from auditionees.
What you will learn
Experience the exercises typically given in an audition for those aged 12-13
Learn about the audition process
Discover what The Royal Ballet School is looking for in potential auditionees.
Rebecca was a Junior Associate of The Royal Ballet School in the 1980s as one of the first London Senior Associates when the programme extended its training to incorporate a Senior Associate Programme. At 16, she commenced vocational training at The Royal Ballet School Upper School under Artistic Director Dame Merle Park DBE. The course built her classical ballet knowledge and technical and artistic skills in preparation for a career as a professional dancer. She gained valuable experience performing repertoire for the School’s performances at the Royal Opera House and Opera Holland Park.
Rebecca is extremely passionate about the art form and teaching. She has achieved a high level of education in teacher training, graduating from The Royal Ballet School’s Diploma of Dance Teaching, specialising in the vocational teaching strand. She is also certified and holds registered teacher status through the Royal Academy of Dance, in addition to completing her Certificate in Teaching Studies in 2012.
Rebecca has been an Associate teacher for The Royal Ballet School’s Associate programme for over a decade. Currently, she teaches the Senior and Mid Associate levels at their London centre. Rebecca also offers Private one-to-one and small group Pre-vocational/RAD syllabi training under her brand, Rebecca Fraiz Classical Ballet, based in Hampshire, UK. She has an expansive teaching career, having taught at several highly-regarded institutions, including Central School of Ballet and English National Ballet School.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can participate?
This class is recommended for students aged 12+ and reflects the training given to students aged 12-13 studying at The Royal Ballet School. The class is not suitable for beginner students, students with limited experience or students under 11 years old.
For this class, we recommend that:
- Students are studying a syllabus delivered by a recognised classical dance awarding body, or if attending full-time vocational training, the method of training provided at their school
- Students have a good knowledge and understanding of ballet vocabulary.
What do I need to participate?
These classes are designed so that they can be executed in a smaller space than a ballet studio. We ask that students/parents ensure that:
- The student meets the technical standards required for the class
- Any apparatus used for a barre is stable and safe
- The floor is not slippery, uneven or hazardous
- The area used for dancing is cleared of any items which could hinder the student’s ability to fully extend their arms and legs. There should be enough space for reasonable movement. If a student cannot fully execute an exercise, they should either adapt appropriately or not participate
- The student is able to clearly hear the teacher’s verbal instruction, see the teacher’s practical delivery and hear the music
- The student is appropriately dressed to safely execute a dance class. Soft ballet shoes should be worn for ballet, not pointe shoes. Bare feet, socks or suitable shoes should be worn for contemporary and Pilates
- The student’s hair is suitably tied back
- The student is fit and well in order to take part.