Intensive course for 16+: Series 1
A series of classes for 16+ years to develop their dancing, refine their classical ballet technique and explore contemporary work.
- 5 classes
- Suitable for 16+
This series is for dancers aged 16+ to complement their dance training and guide them to develop and refine their dancing. The series includes three full ballet classes, each focusing on key aspects of ballet technique, as well as a focus class specifically working on allegro at the barre. The series also includes a contemporary class which explores movement flow, dynamics and momentum.
All lessons in this course are also available to buy individually.
What you will learn
How to use the barre to prepare for allegro
The importance of weight placement, transference of weight and floor pressure, and how to use them
How to bring dynamics and musicality into your dancing
Exercises for accuracy, alignment and coordination
How to use dynamics, weight transference and momentum in contemporary dance.
Artistic Manager of the Vocational and Pre-professional Programmes
Contemporary Teacher and Contemporary Programme Manager
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can participate?
These classes are recommended for students aged 16+ and reflect the training given to students aged 16-19 studying at The Royal Ballet School. The classes are not suitable for beginner students, students with limited experience or students under 15 years old.
For these classes, we recommend that:
- Students are regularly training in a recognised classical ballet syllabus at a vocational level of Advanced 2 or above, or studying at an equivalent level in full-time vocational training
- Students have an excellent and broad knowledge of ballet vocabulary and can follow the class using only verbal instruction if necessary
- Students will have strong and secure basic technique with an understanding of correct placement
- Barrework should be strong with clean execution and secure demi-pointe work
- Adage will have strong, secure placement and extensions will be at 90 degrees or above
- Pirouettes are secure and students will have the ability to execute multiple turns
- Allegro, including batterie, should be executed with good understanding of secure take-off and landings
- Students undertaking pointe work will be confident in advanced exercises.
What do I need to participate?
These classes are designed so that they can be executed in a smaller space than a ballet studio. We ask that students/parents ensure that:
- The student meets the technical standards required for the class
- Any apparatus used for a barre is stable and safe
- The floor is not slippery, uneven or hazardous
- The area used for dancing is cleared of any items which could hinder the student’s ability to fully extend their arms and legs. There should be enough space for reasonable movement. If a student cannot fully execute an exercise, they should either adapt appropriately or not participate
- The student is able to clearly hear the teacher’s verbal instruction, see the teacher’s practical delivery and hear the music
- The student is appropriately dressed to safely execute a dance class. Soft ballet shoes should be worn for ballet, not pointe shoes. Bare feet, socks or suitable shoes should be worn for contemporary and Pilates
- The student’s hair is suitably tied back
- The student is fit and well in order to take part.